Friday, June 21, 2013

Discovering Syria

-->
I was going to write this blog post about U.S. humanitarian aid.  Coming into this discussion, my views were resolute and cynical, and I was insistent that U.S. aid, from both governmental and not for profit agencies, was something that did more harm than good.


In doing research on aid, however, I discovered the Syrian crisis.  


By “discovered” I do not mean to say that I was unaware that something was happening in a place called Syria.  I knew that that was so, but that was all that I knew.  Through subsequent research, I was repeatedly beaten down by my ignorance.  At the risk of sounding melodramatic, that is actually what it felt like: a mental beating in which the weapon of choice was my own (national and ethnic) privilege.  Before “discovering” Syria, I would have said that the U.S. needs to dramatically change or reduce its aid efforts.  Now, however, I realize that that view reflects my ability to disconnect myself from others' problems. 


I once heard that when people are confronted by their privilege, they go through something analogous to the seven stages of grief.  The first four stages apply to my understanding of Syria:


1.     Shock and Denial


In my other course this semester, I learned about the war in Bosnia for the first time.  My professor mentioned Syria a few times and cited some of the figures about what is currently happening, but I did nothing to learn more.  Syria was in the periphery. 


2. Pain and Guilt


Then, this week, I actually took the time to read a few news articles about the crisis.  I learned that over 90,000 people have been killed and almost two million have been displaced; about half of the population of Syria is currently in need of aid.  I was so frustrated by the fact that although I pride myself on being someone who is aware of what is happening in the world, I allowed myself to be completely ignorant of immense suffering.  I did not educate myself, and I took no action.  I realize just how small and comfortable my “world” really is. 


3.     Anger and Bargaining


Then I got angry at the United States, the source of my privilege and ignorance.  First, I was angry that the system is set up in such a way that if I do not have access to information or choose to ignore it, that I can be so unaware of something that is so immensely critical and could lead to yet another regional war – one that the U.S. would almost certainly be involved with.  Additionally, this week, the U.S. government pledged 300 million additional dollars to Syria and neighboring countries, bringing the total U.S. government assistance to the Syrian humanitarian crisis to over 814 million dollars.  I am angry that I do not know how much the government is spending and where it is going, which speaks to greater issues beyond just this crisis and spending on aid.  Second, I am angry at the U.S. government and national media for what seems to be biased and sensationalist information.  


4.     Depression, Reflection, and Loneliness


Really, I was ashamed of myself and my lack of knowledge.  The U.S. has been at war in the Middle East for more than half of my lifetime; yet, until yesterday, I would not have been able to point out Syria on a map.  I was unaware of the cause or reasoning behind all of the killing and displacement.  Bashar al-Assad who?  Subsequently, I also did not know that Syria was part of the Arab Spring; in fact, I would not have been able to (and still cannot) name the countries involved in the Arab Spring or what that even means exactly.  Additionally, I am worried, because if I am so unaware of these things, then there are probably many, many more young Americans who are in the same position, or worse.  Actually, like I said in class, if it weren’t for Facebook and my CNN app, I would know absolutely nothing about this situation or other uprisings in places like Turkey or Brazil.  That is so frustrating to me, but I don’t know what other actions to take other than to lock myself away in the library for the rest of the summer to catch up with world events.  Even then, where would that leave me?


I don’t know what to make of Syria, or even humanitarian aid for that matter, but I do know that global unrest is only going to get worse, and our generation will be the ones to deal with it.  We can no longer allow ourselves to be ignorant of things like the Syrian crisis.






**In the roughly three and a half minutes it took to read this post, almost fifty-five people were displaced or became a new refugee somewhere in the world.






3 comments:

  1. I was in the same boat as you with Syria. I say was because I'm still not fully educated. A study done with the New York Times showed that college students do not get their news from one single source, but they get it from multiple, informal outlets that are often segmented: twitter, facebook, tumblr. Only bits and pieces are published. When everything in Syria was just starting with Gaddafi, it was my senior year of high school and I listened to NPR whenever I drove anywhere, which was often. I got to hear the entire development from the beginning. By the time his death came in October 2011, a lot of my friends on social networks were buzzing about his death, as if they had just then started to pay attention to the whole thing. When I heard news of his death, I felt like I was sitting on an ivory tower, a learned, privileged Millennial, who is so well informed on current events and everyone else is just ignorant. When there's still so much I don't know anything about. So don't get down on yourself-- your news might be broken up into many different forms and diluted down.

    Source: http://blogs.worldbank.org/publicsphere/not-new-york-times-where-college-students-get-their-news

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post. Although I was aware of the Syria crisis, I have been in a similar situation that you described regarding Turkey and Brazil and only hearing of these things via social media. It might seem disheartening to hear about such matters via Facebook, but actually I think it's a good sign that young people are sharing news with each other in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, but this has been one of the things I've been trying to get at in class. Even though I'm impressed by many of you, your lack of... I don't know. It's not knowledge, exactly, but rather your lack of exposure to the presentation of certain kinds of knowledge is almost shocking to me.

    I had a pretty heated argument with Cas before one class one day, when I was detailing what I saw as some of the differences between your generation and mine. She asserted that there's no way I could have critically thought about the fall of the Berlin Wall (3rd grade), the fall of the Soviet Union (4th grade), and Desert Storm. She simply wouldn't believe me when I assured her that was not the case, and that my grade school teachers INSISTED that we be able to process the information. To make sure I wasn't batshit crazy, I had a pretty long discussion with Charles after class since he's my age. Sure enough, even though we came from different parts of the country, we had the exact same kinds of experiences.

    That, to me, indicates that there HAS been a major change in what gets discussed at elementary, middle, and secondary educational levels. That bothers the crap out of me, because I don't know when exactly that change occurred.

    And we've been involved in the Middle East one way or the other since 1805. Just to cover the last 30 years- Beirut; bombing Libya (the first time in 1986); support of Saddam Hussein (fun fact, we gave him the keys to the city of Detroit); support of the mudjahedin against the Soviets; Desert Shield and Storm; Somalia; Afghanistan; Iraq (round two); so on and so forth. I'm not listing things for the sake of listing them, I'm trying to point out that these were ALL things that were pointed out to us in school.

    So I've been consistently surprised at some of the outrage I've seen by some. They've acted as though is the very first time they've seen the U.S. involved in conflicts of this nature, and I couldn't understand it. Now I do- this IS the first time many of you have seen it.

    Which causes a different kind of confusion for me. As I said, I simply can't fathom how this state of affairs came to be, since it would have been beyond belief when I grew up.

    ReplyDelete