Thursday, June 20, 2013

Can't Cover My Skin


This past week we read excerpts from Kenji Yoshino’s Covering: The Hidden Assault on Our Civil Rights. The main theme of the excerpts we read dealt with the concepts of covering and passing. Yoshino draws from author Erving Goffman. In his book Stigma, Erving Goffman provides instances of covering: “Persons who are ready to admit possession of a stigma….may nonetheless make a great effort to keep the stigma from looming large.” Passing on the other hand is trying to detract from something that everyone already knows like when President Roosevelt sat behind a desk to detract from the fact that he was in a wheelchair. These somewhat complicated ideologies can be demonstrated through my experiences as an African American male. Specifically I will focus on the concept of covering.

I was born and raised in a wealthy area. I attended a predominantly white private school most of my life. My parents are both lawyers and have pushed me to be successful. I was always told that to be successful, one must always be presentable (meaning no baggy jeans or extra large clothes), speak eloquently (my mother used demand that I only speak “King’s English”), and work hard in school. Throughout my life, I have tried my best to do all of those things.

 Often as a child, white children would ask me things like, “Why don’t you look like X?” or “Why don’t you talk like Y,” or  “Your name is so white! Why didn’t your parents name you Jamal?” 

and most infamously “You don’t act black.” Due to my intelligence, I was disassociated with my blackness. In a way, through these questions I was accused of covering. People believed that because I acted contrary to how they thought I should act, that I was in fact suppressing my true self, or acting in a way which was meant to hide my true nature.  Was I in fact subliminally covering to fit in? Perhaps, I wasn’t letting my “inner blackness” rise to the surface. NO, NO, NO!

For the life of me, I don’t understand why people associate color with intelligence. Our President is black! Obviously being president requires some sort of intelligence. But even relating to this, you often hear people say “Oh, President Obama, doesn’t count, he’s mixed” as if it they really can’t stomach the thought of an intelligent black man running the world. 

            Interestingly enough, I am somewhat Afrocentric. I know the history of African Americans, and I embrace African American culture. However, I don’t walk around town in axiomatic black power garb. Is it incumbent upon me to outwardly represent my culture everywhere I go? If I don’t necessarily represent my culture everywhere I go, unless questioned, am I considered covering? I found Nabila’s earlier post very interesting, especially the video of De La Cruz. I found it interesting that he denied being Mexican and added the fact that his dad served in the navy, thereby attempting to look more American.  I’d argue that even though De La Cruz is American, by denying being Mexican, which is a part of his identity, that he is actively covering. The questions I pose to my classmates are as follows: Have you ever covered? Do feel pressure to cover? Do you represent your heritage everywhere you go? If so, why or why not?  

4 comments:

  1. Well said, Arnold. In my opinion, much like your own, it's surprising that De La Cruz chose to deny his Mexican background. As one could guess, being a Polish-born American citizen, I happen to have a number of Polish-American friends; not all of whom were born abroad (much like De La Cruz). However, unlike Cruz, my friends embrace their Polish heritage, either by speaking the native language, consuming Polish goods, or even participating in the Polish community back home where they're from. They come off as being equally passionate about their American identity as they are about being Polish. While Kenji mainly focuses on the covering of sexual orientation, covering can happen in other forms, including race, gender, occupation, nationality, etc. (social theory of intersectionality)
    The only counterargument I can think of is the fact that perhaps at his age, De La Cruz is somewhat embarrassed or set back by his heritage and how it is seen by the larger American populace. Think of all the uncalled for stereotypes that are often attached to being Mexican. When I was kid, I too avoided bringing up my heritage and the tradition of my Polish culture. I guess, in a way, De La Cruz could just be trying to fit in. Either way, whether he is doing so consciously or not, he is to some extent covering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arnold, I am glad that the video featuring De La Cruz could relate to the point behind your blog post. As a young kid (like Mariusz also points out), I think he handled the situation well seeing as how so much of the twitter comments were harsh and downright racist. But I did find it sad that he was so quick to disown his heritage. To me, that was purposeful coverage, but a choice he had to make in order to stop the hateful remarks.

    The video that you included, "Top 60 Ghetto Black Names", was really shocking to me. After a few seconds of watching it and hearing the name Fri'chickenisha, I was annoyed. While I am all about a funny youtube video, I found this to be offensive and could not believe it had over 28 million views, as well as mostly positive comments expressing the video's hilarity. The story about people asking you about why your name was so "white" really resonated with me. My younger brother is named Ryan, and I cannot even tell you how many people have asked why his name was so "white" while my other siblings, me included, had such "exotic" names. By no means were my parents covering when they picked his name, but society often questions actions that goes against the typical (or stereotypical) behavior associated with a culture.

    To answer your questions, I do not feel that I cover in my everyday life. I think I sometimes do feel the pressure to cover, or even uncover, but it is something that I have learnt to deal with. I think representing your heritage at all times is a really tricky thing. I do think that I proudly show my Bengali/ Australian side. But I do not want to disassociate with my American culture either, seeing as I am an American citizen and spent the majority of my life here. I think it is time that we realize that people should not be defined by one culture, but instead can represent many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have covered in the past, but 98-percent of the time I do not. I do not have to cover, at least in the traditional civil rights groups sense, because my only target identity is my gender; even then, my collective identity makes me a very privileged woman. Additionally, I am almost always in an environment - sometimes to much chagrin - in which my beliefs, ideas, culture, behavior, etc. fit very nicely. The people that I have surrounded myself with are very similar to myself so there is typically no need, and I am typically safe enough in my day to day life to live uncovered even if it makes me different.

    This is only possible because I have so much privilege. My culture, heritage, and attributes are those that people have to cover for, not the other way around.

    The times that I have felt pressure to cover are an interesting test of the covering theory. When I go home for family gatherings I am very clearly the most liberal person present; my extended family very regularly makes derogatory remarks against African Americans, Latinos, women, gay people, and poor people (often these all clump together into one imaginary person). I have to hide my discomfort and "crazy, liberal, feminist, hippie" views, because challenging my family, especially my "elders," would not only be disrespectful but also not safe. Still I wonder, is this covering?

    I would also say that I cover when I become a minority, in the sense that I have more privilege than the majority of the people in a situation. I encountered this almost every day last summer when I was living in Detroit. There were many instances where I would have the most education or be of the highest SES, among other things. I would try to acknowledge my privilege and then make it less visible as a way to be respectful and to fit in. Is this covering? Or can you only be covering if you're protecting a less privileged identity trait or behavior?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arnold, due to the fact that you work to be presentable, speak eloquently, and work hard in school, do you feel the need to cover around other black-americans in social situations? In my upbringing, my parents raised me with a bit of a southern twang, encouraging me to be shameless and laugh often. As a freshman at U-M, I felt I needed to cover because the sorority girls were more high-brow than what I was used to. I combed my hair to the side (instead of messy), listened to house music (instead of rock) and did my best impression of a Goldman Sachs banker. This allowed me to understand a little more about what to expect in the world, and also that it is a lot more effective to just be myself. Have you ever gone through a similar phase (in any way) and if you have did you learn from it?

    ReplyDelete